1. Ghana is faced with 12% youth unemployment and more than 50% underemployment, both higher than overall unemployment rates in Sub-Saharan African countries. Despite major investments by both government and private sector, this challenge will intensify if job opportunities remain limited.
2. Younger generations move from rural areas to urban centers, wanting to work and live in the city. Working in the agriculture landscape is seen as hard work rather than profitable business.
3. Ghana's current education system doesn't match the skills and values sought by employers.
4. Youth don't have the right connections to get decent jobs
We see a great opportunity for positive change. We want to empower Ghana’s young generation to become future change makers in agribusiness. We pre-select, train a group motivated underemployed youth and connect them with the innovative new generation food and agri businesses in Ghana. This 4 months pre-employment program is divided into two parts:
👉🏾 3 week training program. Starts 7th of February 2022: Monday-Thursday 9AM - 3PM
👉🏾 3 months paid internship: starts beginning March 2022
The program is unique as it combines theoretical lectures, practical experience and company partnerships. Building a 'pre-employment' training followed by a paid internship position, gives students perspective and the opportunity to explore their interest and talent. We support the participants during the internships and the aim is for companies to eventually hire them.
1. To prepare youth to work for professional companies.
2. To change the narrative of working in food and agri sector.
3. To close the gap between company needs & skills capacity of youth.
4. To connect youth & growing food and agri businesses through a paid internship.
5. To contribute in decreasing underemployment in Ghana.